Notice to South Africans: Please visit for up to date information on the COVID-19 outbreak.

I am frightened of my partner. How do I secure a protection order?

You may apply to the Magistrate’s Court in your area of residence for a protection order against your partner. The clerk will give you the application forms to complete, including an affidavit. You need to be specific in the affidavit about the behaviour of the other person to convince the magistrate to grant an order to protect you.

If you are in need of urgent protection, i.e. you are in imminent danger, an interim protection order will be granted and a court date will be given.


Simon Dippenaar | SD Law Cape Town

Cape Town attorney Simon Dippenaar has a BBusSc LLB degree and Professional Diploma in Legal Practice from the University of Cape Town, and is an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa. He is the founder and director of private legal practice, Simon Dippenaar & Associates, with offices in Cape Town and Gauteng representing South African and international clients.

View more posts from this author

Stay in contact


The information on this website is provided to assist the reader with a general understanding of the law. While we believe the information to be factually accurate, and have taken care in our preparation of these pages, these articles cannot and do not take individual circumstances into account and are not a substitute for personal legal advice. If you have a legal matter that concerns you, please consult a qualified attorney. Simon Dippenaar & Associates takes no responsibility for any action you may take as a result of reading the information contained herein (or the consequences thereof), in the absence of professional legal advice.