Can I change my minor child’s surname?


Yes, with either both parents’ consent or a court order.. Changing a minor’s surname is possible without the other parent’s consent if you have sole guardianship of the child.

Once you have the other parent’s consent or you have obtained a court order giving you sole guardianship, you may approach the Department of Home Affairs with the relevant documents and fill in BI-1682 form.

Previous post:
Next post:

The information on this website is provided to assist the reader with a general understanding of the law. While we believe the information to be factually accurate, and have taken care in our preparation of these pages, these articles cannot and do not take individual circumstances into account and are not a substitute for personal legal advice. If you have a legal matter that concerns you, please consult a qualified attorney. Simon Dippenaar & Associates takes no responsibility for any action you may take as a result of reading the information contained herein (or the consequences thereof), in the absence of professional legal advice.

Need legal assistance?

Request a free call back